Monday, October 17

Class 6 - Malware!!!

During this week we played with a Malware that we had to download, the malware is called Sasser.M, this malware was very interesting, I say this because I fix computer on my spare time to my own personal clients, and I get malwares and viruses that are not as tough as this one, well that is what I think,  this malware just completely took over the pc, I mean I couldn’t access taskbar, I couldn’t open my computer, I could not open other software in the OS. I tried using wireshark from my host OS and looked if it would try to access other ports but indeed it was going crazy on wireshark trying to open network connections, open some IP addresses, I thought this was amazing just how a malware like this could do so much to the Operating system. The system changes that I noticed were the following: I notice the Taskbar, start meny, programs failing to start “.exe” it took over basically everything!
I tried to remove to Malware by using my personal antivirus but it just wasn’t the same as before there were a few registry stuff missing and it just wasn’t 100 percent running so what I did was just go back to a snapshot I had from before.
I feel this lab was intended for us to learn how an aggressive malware could do so much damage to a computer and how it can propagate to another system really quick and easy without any protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment